Royal fashion frenzy: How outfits worn by Kate and Meghan boost online searches for similar items by up to 200 per cent
- The Duchesses caused sale and search spikes in animal print, tweed and velvet
- Searches for designer labels on eBay - Givenchy, Chloe and Mulberry also soared
- Meghan's Givenchy dress saw a 172 per cent increase in searches for the brand
- Chloe biker boot searches went up 40 per cent when Kate Middleton wore them
Whenever Kate Middleton or Meghan Markle step out everyone wants to know what they're wearing - but one online clothing company claims that their fashion choices have meant a spike in searches for similar designs.
New research by eBay UK shows that Kate and Meghan's wardrobe choices have caused search and sale spikes in animal print, tweed and velvet after they were spotted wearing the trends.
The brand have also seen a 200 per cent increase in searches for luxury fashion. While searches for particular designer labels such as Givenchy, Chloe and Mulberry also soared after being worn by the two royals.
In June last year, when Meghan stepped out for her first, official royal engagement in a cream Givenchy cape dress – the same day, eBay recorded a 172 per cent increase in searches for the brand.
In June last year, when Meghan stepped out for her first, official royal engagement in a cream Givenchy cape dress – the same day, eBay recorded a 172 per cent increase in searches for the brand
While Kate Middleton's style seems to have the same effect on sales too with searches for 'Biker boots' increasing by 55 per cent and ‘Chloe style biker boots’ by 40 per cent when she visited the King Henry's Walk community garden in Islington in January.
While Kate Middleton's style seems to have the same effect on sales too with searches for 'Biker boots' increasing by 55 per cent and ‘Chloe style biker boots’ by 40 per cent when she visited the King Henry's Walk community garden in January wearing them.
Animal print also saw a surge (102 per cent increase) earlier this year when Meghan wore an Oscar de la Renta animal print dress to visit Bristol's Old Vic with Prince Harry.
While one Brit every single minute was searching for Mulberry – when she accessorised her dress with a Mulberry clutch at The Nelson Mandela Centenary Exhibition at the Southbank Centre last July. This was a 20 per cent rise on searches prior to Meghan’s appearance on this day.
While tweed was popular search too when Kate’s wore a tweed Erdem dress last October and generated a 70 per cent increase in searches for ‘tweed dresses’ on the site.
Animal print also saw a surge (102% increase) earlier this year when Meghan’s wore an Oscar de la Renta animal print dress to visit Bristol's Old Vic with Prince Harry
Kate (left) wore a tweed Erderm dress when she attended the opening of the V&A Photography Centre at the Victoria & Albert Museum last October and Megan's blue Smythe Coat (right) was also a big hit with fashion fans
Megan's blue Smythe Coat was also a big hit with fashion fans. She wore the coat to launch her cookbook in September 2018, and it resulted in a 56 per cent increase in searches for blue coats on eBay.
Likewise, when Kate wore a yellow Alexander McQueen coat last July they saw a 42 per cent increase in searches for yellow coats in just one day.
Other popular searches were yellow dresses after Meghan wore a Brandon Maxwell dress and velvet shoes – which saw a 79 per cent increase when Kate stepped out in a pair of velvet court shoes last October.
One Brit every single minute was searching for Mulberry – when Meghan (left) accessorised her dress with a Mulberry clutch at The Nelson Mandela Centenary Exhibition at the Southbank Centre last July.
How to dress like a Royal - on a budget
Helen Riley, fashion and beauty category manager at eBay UK , offers her five top tips for dressing like a Royal on a budget
- For the most part, both Meghan and Kate keep their style relatively simple. From classic, fitted trouser suits, to simple oversized shirts, basic items can be dressed up with jewellery to take you from a casual office look to drinks with friends. Unlike the Royals though, you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg on these kinds of items for them to look chic.
- Meghan and Kate definitely know how to pull off a gorgeous gown, However, a lot of the time they’ll keep colours and embellishment to a minimum and opt instead for a strong silhouette. Check out some of the vintage designer dresses on offer on eBay. Search for Royal-loved designers, such as Givenchy and Alexandra McQueen, and filter by ‘authorised sellers’ to purchase pre-loved premium fashion that’s perfect for a big occasion.
- More often than not, Meghan and Kate can be seen sporting a court shoe. A staple in your wardrobe, this kind of style adds height, elegance and femininity to any look. If you struggle walking in heels, go for a smaller kitten-heel - you’ll still replicate this classic look, but without the pain!
- The ladies of the Royal family are big advocates of the humble clutch bag. Clutches are a brilliant way to accessorise an outfit, without adding bulk or looking like you’re carrying around everything but the kitchen sink! If your outfit is neutral, go for something bright to add a pop of colour and instantly overhaul your look.
- Meghan Markle in particular loves to wear outfits consisting of just one colour. Nude and beige are set to be hugely popular for summer 2019, so if you’re feeling inspired by Meghan Markle, take a look at eBay’s on-site trend section and filter by colour to find beige buys for less.